Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Speed Cleaning

Fellow mom blogger, Melanie (check out her blog at S(Thomp)ing Ground) recently shared a post on speed cleaning.  Check out the full post here.  Melanie and I are clearly going through the same process.  Our sons are the same age and we are both getting ready to return to work very soon (insert sobbing face here).   I've had a pretty good year of maternity leave but as it comes to an end my list of things I'd like to get done is growing!   So I'm borrowing Melanie's excellent idea of speed cleaning or making a list of little jobs you want to get done and doing them during nap time. 

Since it's rare both my children are napping at the same time, I'm going to try and complete my speed cleaning tasks after the kids are in bed for the night.  It's that time of day when the house is “tidy”, supper dishes are cleaned up, and the kids are finally in bed asleep. For me there is a short window of time where I would like to eke out just 10 or 15 minutes more of my day.  Enter speed cleaning.  I’m kind of keeping a list of things (in my head) I’d like to get done.  
  
Last night it was under the kitchen sink.   So at 8:37 I sat down and reorganized all my cleaning supplies, battery container, boxes and paper bags (that I save for my organics green cart).  At 8:46 I was done.  Granted I didn’t clear everything out and scrub down the cupboard like I should have but it feels much more organized now.  Here is a before and after picture.  And yes the curtain rod to store squirt bottles was something I found on Pinterest (although it doesn’t take the weight of lot of full bottles.)   I next want to tackle our family bathroom.  Maybe one drawer a night.   And hopefully in the next few weeks I can have a more organized and clean house...before the chaos of going back to work full-time begins.


~Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. Can't believe you did that in under ten minutes! Impressive!

    Www.glitterarygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the curtain rod under the kitchen sink idea too! Mine also wasn't solid enough to hold the weight of full bottles, but I felt so clever and organized for a couple of days before they all fell lol. ~ Lauren Mc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad to see you are joining in the fun (and thanks for the mention!) It feels so much more manageable this way I find. Also I LOVE that rod idea and it looks so nice and clean now. It actually made me realize that's one of the areas I need to tackle. :S P.S. What is the flower thing in the bottom left? (Just curious! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. The flower thing is to dry plastic bags - you "stand" the plastic bags on the wooden flowers to dry so they can be reused. :)

      Delete