Monday, March 18, 2013

A Wee Bit of Irish For Ya'

Happy Monday everyone!  So what did you all do to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? We celebrated Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!  Whew!

Friday we ventured into the small Ottawa Valley Irish town of Douglas for their St. Patrick's Day parade.  What an event.  The effort that goes into some of the floats is amazing.  The kids really enjoyed it and we already agreed it was colder watching the St. Patrick's Day parade in March than it was watching the Santa Claus parade in December!

My sister and I enjoying the parade.


Saturday we had some friends in for supper.  We enjoyed some Irish stew and green dessert (recipe below) and green Kool-Aid for the kids. 


And of course I had to decorate with a few shamrocks.  Emma and I made name cards with thumbprint shamrocks and I attached  a Dollarstore shamrock to my wooden napkin rings.  It looked nice and festive.


And here is my tip for making stew.  Well it's not actually my tip.  I did a quick Google search and this isn't a secret but I'm going to share it anyway.  For those of you who have a Pampered Chef Crinkle Cutter-use it to cut turnip!  It's so easy!


Sunday was an "adult" day.  We ventured back into Douglas for some St. Patrick's Day celebrations.  The music was fabulous and included the Ryan Brothers and Bang On The Ear.  Good times for a couple of girls from Nova Scotia!


And I guess some of you are wondering about the dessert we had so here is the recipe.  (This is a combination of chocolate trifle recipes I've tried over the years).

St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Pistachio Trifle

1 Chocolate Cake Mix
1 package Two-Bite Brownies
Skor Bits
2 pkgs Pistachio Pudding
1 tub of Cool-Whip
Green food coloring

1.  Bake chocolate cake according to package directions.  Let cool.  
2.  Mix pudding according to package directions.  
3.  Add green food coloring to Cool-Whip, mix well.  
4.  Mix some Cool-Whip with the pudding.  

Assembling the trifle:  Break up chocolate cake and brownies.  Layer on bottom of clear bowl.  Add  Skor bits.  Add layer of pudding/cool-whip mixture.  Continue layers, ending with a layer of pudding/cool-whip (or just cool-whip).  Sprinkle Skor bits on top.  Enjoy!

I always enjoy St. Patrick's Day festivities, especially the music.  It was nice this year to celebrate with the kids as well.  Would love to hear how you celebrated!

May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home. ~ Irish Blessing

~Elizabeth

 




No comments:

Post a Comment