Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Traditions

To me Easter is a special holiday for many reasons.  It has a lot of significance religiously but it is also a holiday with many traditions for me and my family; traditions that I have grown up with and also ones that I've started with my own family.  One of those traditions is making Hot Cross Buns.  For as long as I can remember my grandmother and mother have made this tasty treat at Easter.  I've tried to replicate the recipe every year but to no avail.  So this year was extra special since we were visiting Nova Scotia and were able to enjoy my mother's Hot Cross Buns.  


This is Emma at home in Ontario attempting to make a batch.  And of course Dustin getting in on the action as well.


And here is Emma helping Grammie make a batch of Hot Cross Buns while visiting her in NS.  Mom still uses an old blue enamelware bowl that belonged to my great grandmother. Imagine the batches of bread this bowl has seen!  I never did get a picture of the finished product - we were too busy eating them!

Of course the Easter Bunny visited and hid chocolate eggs in the same places he did when I was a kid.  Except he use to leave us the marshmallow cream eggs which my sister and I never did like!


Probably the most exciting thing for me was that we were finally home for our family's 14th Annual Easter Egg Hunt!  Now this is not an ordinary Easter Egg Hunt.  I can only imagine how many hours of planning and preparation my wonderful cousin puts into this.  There was 85 people searching for 1168 eggs, carrots and bunnies.  Emma had so much fun collecting all the goodies for her and Dustin.

 


 



It was also a great chance to catch up with family and friends - some who are meeting Emma and Dustin for the first time.  We were surrounded by so much love and excitement - it's a wonderful feeling to be leaving NS with.  It's something I know Emma will always remember.  

And if you thought that was enough "Easter" on Sunday afternoon we had our family dinner and enjoyed many laughs and some great games of bingo!  Things were feeling very festive with my Aunt's beautiful Easter decorations.  




So I thank all our family and friends for helping us make so many new Easter memories.   It is always great to be home in NS and even more special when we're home for such a wonderful holiday like Easter.  God Bless! 

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment